The Spring 2023 vision & hearing screening schedule is currently available.
The Illinois Child Vision and Hearing Test Act establishes minimum standards for the mandated vision and hearing screening programs throughout the state.
The minimum standards are as follows:
- All mandated screening must be done by screeners trained and certified by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
- Minimum mandated grades for vision screening are kindergarten, second, and eighth.
- Minimum mandated grades for hearing screening are kindergarten, first, second, and third.
- All children age 3 and older in licensed daycare/preschool facilities must be screened annually for both vision and hearing.
- If a child refers on the first screening, a second screening, identical to the first screening is required in 10 to 14 days.
- Any child not passing the vision rescreening shall be referred, through the parents, for further evaluation by an ophthalmologist or optometrist.
- Any child not passing the hearing rescreening shall be given a hearing thresholds test.
- Any child meeting referral criteria on the hearing threshold test shall be referred, through the parent/guardian, for further testing by a physician or audiologist